To ensure the safety and efficacy of the procedure, it is important to follow these guidelines:
- Do not tan or use self tanner, and use caution in the sun 6 weeks prior to treatment. Adverse effects are more likely to occur with tanned skin.
- The pigment targeted by the laser in the hair follicle is similar to the pigment present when the skin is tanned and could be damaged during the procedure.
- Do not use electrolysis, pluck, bleach or wax hair 3 weeks before treatment.
- Do not take Accutane (Isotretinoin) 6 months prior to treatment.
- Do not use Retin-A products one week before treatments.
- Shave area the night before treatment.
- Make-up, perfume, lotion, powder or deodorant should not be worn to treatment.
If you have a history of Herpes Simplex (cold sores) outbreaks or recurrent staphylococcal infections, you may need prescription suppressive therapy prior to or after treatment. Please notify the provider.
- Apply ice packs to reduce redness and discomfort.
- A fragrance-free lotion should be applied to the treated area twice a day.
- Avoid trauma to the area, which includes picking at any peeling skin or crusting that may occur.
- Avoid makeup until the next day.
- Sunscreen (SPF>30) should be used on the treated area between sessions and for a week after treatment.
- Do not shave the area if crusting or blistering has occured.
- Do not use electrolysis, pluck, bleach or wax hair between treatments.
- Do not use hot water on the treated area immediately after the procedure.
What to expect after your laser hair removal treatment:
- Mild redness and swelling of the treated area may last up to 1-2 days post-treatment.
- Potential discomfort lasting 1 day after treatment.
- Within the first three weeks after treatment, it may appear that the treated hair is experiencing regrowth.
- This is actually the expulsion of the hair from the follicle as a result of the laser hair removal.
Complete removal of hair within 1-3 weeks, and partial permenant removal of hair. Laser hair removal will not permenantly remove every hair in the targeted area. Generally there will be about a 70% permenant reduction of hair. Hair that does grow back, will be thinner, slow-growing and less pigmented.